Conquering life living with Type 1 Diabetes

Wednesday, May 7, 2014

Yet another reason to love Dexcom.

So I went low for a while today, right?  Ok that happens, I ate some fruit strips thingies from Target, which by the way are a GREAT alternative to freakin fruit snacks, yuck! (Simply Balanced Wild Berry Fruit Strips http://www.target.com/p/simply-balanced-wild-berry-fruit-strips-25-ct/-/A-14576075#prodSlot=medium_1_4&term=fruit+strips )  If I smell fruit snacks I almost puke I ate them for so many years for lows that now I just can not stand them.  My little pony are the best, just in case you are looking.  Moving on.

So it was lunch time, right, yep, check my blood sugar.  146.  What?  Wait, how the heck am I 146, I was just low like 45 minutes ago. t:slim insulin pump says I need a correction of .55 units

So I take a look at my Dexcom, which by the way I am wearing in a totally new and awesome ankle band from http://www.tallygear.com/index.php?route=product/category&path=97


Dexcom says 118.  Hmm 118...ok that is not 146.















So I recheck my blood sugar again.  128. Awesome.  Pump says correction of  .28 units

I dont know about you all but I am REALLY sensitive to insulin.  A difference of .27 units is kind of a big deal considering my basal for this time of day is .65 units. Yeah that's like a little over a half of a unit per hour that my body needs.  ONE HALF of a unit. I cant even get that precise with a stupid syringe, no wonder my blood sugar was freakin bananas when I was on shots.  ( I took shots for like 8 years and it was stupid for me to not start pumping sooner) For basal during this point in my cycle I only need 15.138 units a day. 



Anyway my point being is that I dont know what I would do without my Dexcom.  Yeah it can be way off one way or the other but at least it is there to tell me when my blood glucose meter is off.  Sometimes its way more than 18 points and I know to some of you that wouldnt make a difference, but to me it does.  I have had my meter give me two different readings more than 50 points apart.


So for those of you on the fence, so to speak, about Dexcom or a pump I say go for it! Most companies give you at least 30 days to decide to keep it or not. I know that Dexcom and Tandem Diabetes give you 30 days to return them and I would expect them to take it back later than that if some crazy issue came about. The ONLY reason I could ever see a person return a Dexcom would have to be some crazy allergy to the tape that cant be worked around and there are many many work arounds for allergies you can find online on Facebook, TuDiabetes or other bloggers.  An insulin pump, like my t:slim is an adjustment and a much bigger one that the Dexcom.  It is a great adjustment for most people and if I ever had to go back to shots I dont think I would live for very long without major complications.  Right now I am going through a rough patch with my Diabetes and my last A1C was crap, pure crap but I am working on it and being more aggressive with my carb counting and trying to take boluses on time, I have an issue with forgetting.  I also have this hatred of low blood sugars, like many other Diabetic people.  I know its really stupid and counterproductive but I just dont want to go low.  I hate it and the tighter my control becomes the more dang lows I have. 

I just dont know what I would do without my Dexcom and Tandem Diabetes t:slim insulin pump. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

➼ Please leave a comment, help keep me motivated to blog. Your email address will not be published and you will not receive any spam. Any comments with links or spam will not be published so do not waste your time.