Conquering life living with Type 1 Diabetes

Monday, April 30, 2018

A new approach to my t1d management and its working great!

So nearly a month ago I started a new approach to my type 1 Diabetes management.  I am taking Metformin which is typically a type 2 Diabetes pill. My endo agreed to let me try it to see what happens.
Needless to say it has revolutionized my diabetes and made the amount of insulin I need drop tremendously and my resistance drop tremendously! Taking less insulin has many benefits including making it easier to keep weight off and lose weight. With insulin I can easily gain 10 pounds in one week if I over eat. Then losing that 10 pounds takes many weeks, its a crazy battle that has made me crazy since starting insulin. I constantly go up and down 10-20 pounds.  Taking less insulin also means less lows, though I am still tweeking my pump settings because the metformin is still making me go low. If you have type 1 and are struggeling with resistance or needing a lot of insulin you should consider discussing metformin with your Endocrinologist also!

2 comments:

  1. I wonder what dose Metformin you are taking and what approximate percentage your insulin has dropped? I have heard of folks doing it with various (some good, some not so good) results. I am glad you are doing so well with the treatment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I started on 500mg extended release once a day. Started it for a morning dose and on a weekend for fear of lows and bad g.i. reaction. It did make my bowels move more rapidly than before. I am now on a twice daily dose of 500mg and it has just started to cause me some real g.i. discomfort. I am having fairly intense bowel cramping and lose stools. Im hoping my intestines can adjust again because I do not want to give up these great blood sugars. I am still tweeking pump settings. I was 15-20 total basal and right now Im down to 7u total basal. Today has been a wildcard, a few highs...so still working it out. I need to basal test.

      Delete

➼ Please leave a comment, help keep me motivated to blog. Your email address will not be published and you will not receive any spam. Any comments with links or spam will not be published so do not waste your time.