Conquering life living with Type 1 Diabetes

Tuesday, November 26, 2019

Strength training and why I am hooked.

#Diabetes #Dexcom #TandemDiabetes #Type1Diabetes #dsma


I started weight lifting 2 years ago because I was so far out of shape and a mess from my 2nd pregnancy.  My abdominal muscles were separated from that pregnancy and it caused me a lot of back pain.  I started out with the Mutu system to help get my muscles back together. After my first workout I swore I was never going to be able to walk again.  I was so sore I had to wait a whole week to workout again.  I got through the whole mutu system and my core felt a lot stronger. I still have weakened connective tissue, I need to have the muscles stitched back together.

Then I added in weight lifting.  At first that was horrible also, the muscle soreness was unreal and I almost gave up.  I have taken weeks off due to burn out and soreness but I knew I had to get back into it.

Now over 2 years in I am addicted to weight lifting. Its like a challenge to workout hard enough to make my muscles sore.  I have to work really hard and lift heavier and heavier to make gains, but I am hooked on it.

My diabetes is so much easier to manage when I weight lift and I need so much less insulin, even all day long after a workout.  I try to workout for 1.5 hours minimum and if the day allows it I go for 2 hours. I wear a fitbit and I workout out until I have burned at least 300 calories.

I am so much stronger than I was before and can get so much more accomplished with no pain afterward.  I can do yardwork with no pain afterward.  I can even use our gas weed eater for 4 or 5 hours with no pain afterward, other than my hands might hurt a little, I can walk over 8 miles just using the weed eater on our property. I feel so much better being stronger.

The best benefit is that I am finally losing bodyfat that Ive been trying to lose for years.  It is coming off so very slowly but it is going away! My abdominal fat is glued to me I swear, but it is shrinking! I have even gone down a size in jeans, which the best reward! I cannot wait until I can get my abdominal muscles repaired and all the extra skin removed, I will no doubt go down another jean size.

So if you are needing to lose weight or get into shape, there is no better day than today to start! If I can do it and over come the horrible muscle pain so can you.  I have even mostly cured my lower back pain, by including piriformis stretches into my routine.

I use the ketogains calculator online and I do follow a low carb high protein and moderate fat diet. If I can do it, you can too.  I LOVE bread, cookies and cakes just as much as any other carb addict but I had to give it up so I could live a long life and as healthy as I can. I do still cheat but I try to limit it as much as possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment

➼ Please leave a comment, help keep me motivated to blog. Your email address will not be published and you will not receive any spam. Any comments with links or spam will not be published so do not waste your time.