Conquering life living with Type 1 Diabetes

Friday, March 28, 2014

At a loss for words

I try to put a positive spin on comments from people about Diabetes.  Sometimes I am just not sure what to say. The one I hear over and over and over again from people goes something like this:  Me: I am sorry I have to eat something my blood sugar is dropping and I am a type 1 Diabetic so I cannot really wait it out.  Then whoever the person is I am telling this to just so happens to say, oh my (insert relative) died from Diabetes, they had it really bad or they lost their foot/leg/toe.

Insert really flabbergasted face from me. 

I know I am kind of setting myself up for comments like this when I have to tell someone why I am being rude and eating in front of them but it doesnt mean its ok for people to say such things and I feel I should tell them why I am shoving food in my face like its the last piece of food with sugar in it in the world.
 
I don't understand the need for people to say these things so a person living with Type 1 Diabetes.  I swear Diabetes is the only condition that people feel its ok to say, well my grandma/grandpa/uncle/aunt died from Diabetes.  I usually just brush it off but sometimes, man, its like they slapped you in the face and said oh good luck with that I hope it doesn't kill you too.   They might as well say exactly that.

Normally I say something to the affect of well treatments are a lot better today and we can check our blood sugar unlike 30-40 years ago no one checked their blood sugar at home.  We also have better insulin and I am on an insulin pump and glucose sensor which makes management much better than in your relatives time. I try to keep it simple because usually they really dont care to hear what I have to say about it or they get this really confused look on their face.  Getting all technical with a non Diabetic person is usually a waste of breath.

I dont know, I guess I am just a little bit tired of hearing people say that.  It hurts even if it doesn't appear to.  Or I guess it hurts me, I cant say how any other Diabetic feels when they get told this. Never in a million years would I say to someone, oh well I know so and so died from that, if they have that same condition.  Good Lord people can you share a little bit more of a positive response.  Maybe something along the lines of oh, I hear that treatments are a lot better now and there is a lot of new technology available.  That would be a much kinder thing to say.


No comments:

Post a Comment

➼ Please leave a comment, help keep me motivated to blog. Your email address will not be published and you will not receive any spam. Any comments with links or spam will not be published so do not waste your time.