Conquering life living with Type 1 Diabetes

Wednesday, July 8, 2015

LCHF I havent fallen off the wagon yet.

I am on my 10th week of eating low carb high/healthy fat and its been a bumpy ride to say the least.  I am still figuring out my blood sugar and how to manage it on this way of living.  I was having a bunch of lows at night, which I now corrected but me and night time lows do not fare well.  I EAT a ton of garbage when I am low, like oh maybe 4 glasses of milk, a juice box, some cereal (yeah I know terrible) and other things that are reserved for my 2.5 year old.  That pattern has finally been figured out for now.  I'm not going low much or if at all anymore for the most part, which is AHHHHMAZING for me.  Or I should say below 80 and if I hit 70 I eat half a glucose tablet and that brings me  up to 80-90 where I now feel OK.   For me to feel ok walking around at 90 is also AHHHHMAZING!



Im still somewhat flopping at family or friend gatherings.  I mostly avoid high carb stuff chuck full of sugar but I find it is nearly impossible for me to say no to everything but I can say no to it when its inside my house.  Weird I know.  I guess maybe its partly peer pressure and partly still feeling like I want to fit in.  Society is so so addicted to carbs and sugar its like trying to navigate a jungle to avoid it.  Sugar is in everything.  I am so tired of reading labels and there is some form of sugar in every single container/box/package of food I pick up.

I am fully enjoying feeling better and having more energy because my blood sugar is more stable and I RARELY go above 150 now, again, totally amazing for me.  Now I am facing another obstacle.  It has made my IBS-C much much worse.  I have tried every method under the sun it feels to manage this condition.  I have been on Linzess for several months and before lchf I could take ONE and it would work all week long, that was really a huge huge thing for me.  No more insane bowel pain, no more cramps, no more hard painful stool stuck in my colon.  Yeah, I know this is so awesome to talk about but someone has to talk about it, I am not the only one with this problem.  So I think I am lacking something in my diet which is making this worse for me.  I called my GI to hopefully go in and get some blood drawn to see what I am lacking.  I think I just might need more supplements but I want to know what I need to focus on.  I need to figure out what I can do/take to go off my medication dependance.  I hate HATE to take any more drugs.  Insulin has enough preservatives in it already and there is no way around.  I just hope to get this aspect figured out asap, because I cant keep going with this issue being this bad.

Sticking to low carb isn't HARD per-say but it is harder because of the convenience factor.  Boxed/packaged/bagged food is so so much easier to prepare for yourself and your family but so so unhealthy.  I am feeling reignited to cook more stuff at home and I have been making up things as I go.  Like the other day I steamed cauliflower and broccoli with italian seasoning and some salt in it and then mashed it up, put in some heavy whipping cream, mozzarella, cheddar and parmesean cheese and baked it for a while and then broiled it to make it a little brown on top.  I also threw in some cooked bacon and it was freaking amazing.  My husband said I need to make it again soon.  You can make veggies taste so good and without adding pasta.  You will surprise yourself once you get the ball rolling.  Going out to eat is a bit hard also.  You have to get a salad or grilled chicken or something grilled with no added sauses because they are LOADED with carbs/sugar. But you can do it, the willpower has to kick into overdrive.  It may be a tad easier on you if you eat a snack at home first, maybe a fat bomb or some eggs or something along those lines.  I find that if I dont go starving to death I dont indulge in a high carb food choice. 

I cant praise the groups on facebook that help me the most enough Diabetics for "Dr. Bernstein's Diabetes Solution" https://www.facebook.com/groups/29238335797/ and TYPEONEGRIT https://www.facebook.com/groups/660633730675058/

No comments:

Post a Comment

➼ Please leave a comment, help keep me motivated to blog. Your email address will not be published and you will not receive any spam. Any comments with links or spam will not be published so do not waste your time.