Conquering life living with Type 1 Diabetes

Friday, November 26, 2021

20 days for Solara to get my 5 year olds Dexcom set up approved

Solara called me on 24th to let me know that they were finally going to ship my 5 year olds Dexcom setup.  20 days of a 5 year old on insulin, though it is life saving it is also deadly.  Since starting insulin, of course, her pancreas is trying to work again and so she has been having a lot of low blood sugar readings.  If I had not already had her on borrowed parts she surely would have passed out or had a seizure by now.  

It has been a bit of a nightmare but I'm glad I had the knowledge to get us through and knowledge of how to push for the approval process. I am very grateful for our insurance plan and how well they moved quickly when they finally got the paperwork at their office. 

20 days is not acceptable and the amount of confusion I had to deal with from Solara and their employees was horrible. I got phone calls from people who had no idea where we were in the approval process to one guy who called to tell me she was approved when in fact she was not.  I didn't trust the guy knew what he was talking about so I called back to verify and nope, it was not approved and they had no idea what he was talking about. It was complete chaos trying to deal with them.  I was also told I wasn't able to talk with any other department and that was also untrue, you can talk to the documents team who gets all paperwork ready for the prior authorization team.  So if you get stuck in a corner with Solara and are getting no where with your prior authorization or your childs', call back and ask for the documents team.  I wish for a medical field where patients didn't have to push so hard for the stuff they need to stay alive.  It is completely ridiculous.  I hope all the people who steered me in the wrong direction got some retraining and don't do that to anyone else because if I had trusted that one phone call I would still be waiting for a call from them to verify shipment.  They approved urgent shipping so now I will wait and see when it will actually arrive.  

@Dexcom I really wish you were still distributing your own products.  Dealing with medical supply companies is an absolute nightmare and we all hate it.  If I was still going direct I am sure I would have had it in my hands within one week. 

Keep fighting warriors, never give up, you can do it! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

➼ Please leave a comment, help keep me motivated to blog. Your email address will not be published and you will not receive any spam. Any comments with links or spam will not be published so do not waste your time.