Conquering life living with Type 1 Diabetes

Sunday, September 9, 2018

Restarting my Dexcom G6 with Basal IQ running on my Tandem X2

Today I finally did a restart of my G6 Dexcom sensor while having it run on my X2 tandem insulin pump.

The original sensor I did when I updated my pump had to be yanked off.  My tape was eating the skin on my leg.  If I go too far to the backside of my leg, my skin is like allergic to my Opsite Flexifix.  Its really crazy.

So at my 6 hr warning or whatever it was I decided I had to do my restart!




I put my pump far away from me just in case, I did not want to screw it up.  Then be sure to hook back up after you restarted the sensor on your phone. Do not go 2 hrs unhooked.

-Went to my phone app and waited for a fresh b.g. reading.  You have to do the restarts in the window the transmitter is not taking to your device. 
-After it got a new b.g. I waited about 1 min.
-Then hit stop sensor, went through the process on the app, reused my code from 10 days ago and then shut off bluetooth.
-Then set a 2 hr 10 min timer on my phone.  You can also go back into the app and read your sensor insertion time.
-My pump kept readings through the whole 2 hour warm up since my transmitter had no idea that my phone app was doing a restart/2 hour warm up.
- After timer goes off, turn blue tooth back on, open dexcom app and it will say signal loss then go to a 5 minute countdown and then it should work and your pump will catch up with the new session history. You can see it in cgm history, session and calibrations, click today and it will say session joined.

- If you are worried you cannot do all of this fast enough you could always have someone else do the restart on your phone or receiver and you could go stand outside far enough away so it cannot read you.

- If you let your sensor expire my theory is youll have to get it off your pump first and you can only do that by shutting it down first.  Or wait 15 minutes, turn your phone blue tooth off and then restart the sensor on your pump.  I do not know if anyone knows if the pump software is as smart at the phone app and knows to look for erratic data to know it is in fact a brand new sensor. If it does then you would have to get it all the way off your pump, then do the phone restart process and shut blue tooth off.

I hope this helps and if it helped you please leave me a comment! Comments are what keeps me inspired to keep helping other t1d warriors and keep blogging. 

6 comments:

  1. I wish I could give you inspiration but I cannot. I use Medtornic. But if I did use Dexcom your note would clearly inspire me. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This process worked like a charm!! Megan helped me every step of the way!! Thank you for all your help and input! I couldn't have done it without you and glad there are ppl out there willing to take the time to help others like you helped me.

    --Loretta

    ReplyDelete
  3. So excited to try this... These posts are truly a God-send!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Are you turning your G6 off on your phone or on your pump first? My son is 5 so he uses his pump as receiver and I have app on my iPhone. I guess what I’m trying to understand is why you are disconnecting?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Once phone bt is off, did you have to wait any particular amt of time before getting back in range of your pump?

    ReplyDelete

➼ Please leave a comment, help keep me motivated to blog. Your email address will not be published and you will not receive any spam. Any comments with links or spam will not be published so do not waste your time.