Conquering life living with Type 1 Diabetes

Friday, October 5, 2018

Restarting a G6 Dexcom sensor after running out of time and using the X2.

Last weekend I was so busy cleaning my house for one of our kids birthday parties that I forgot I was running out of time on my sensor session. 
Then I heard it, the beep that says your sensor session is going to end in 30 minutes or whatever the very last warning is. I forget how much time that last one is at.


A few swear words may have been said.  So I figured its now or never to figure out how to do this.

This was also my 2nd restart, so I was on day 20. The 2nd restart usually does not go so well for me, lots of sensor error readings.

So I left the pump saying was running out of time while I did the restart on my phone. I watched for a fresh bg reading then quickly stopped sensor, new sensor, entered code, start sensor and shut off my blue tooth.

Of course my pumps sensor time ran down and it beeped saying I needed a new sensor. I let it just ride along showing the new sensor icon.

After my 2 hour 10 min alarm went off on my phone (I set a timer) I turned blue tooth back on, opened my Dexcom app, it showed no signal which is what it should say.  Then the 5 min circle and then it just started working.  I watched my pump and it just joined the session like it did when I downloaded the basal iq software onto my pump.  I jumped for joy and could not believe it worked!

I got a whole bunch of sensor error messages again the first day but I decided to ride it out and it is still on today. This one has been on since September 19th!

I am trying hard to never let the time run out totally because you have no idea when the phone and transmitter are communicating.  So you dont know when that window is to do a restart. Unless it doesnt really matter as long as the phone is not reading the values at restart so it doesnt know you reused the sensor. I don't know, I am sure I will run into this situation sooner or later.  I will keep you posted. 

2 comments:

  1. I have to say that I have NO PATIENCE for all those sensor errors. When I was using G4/G5, I noticed that I started getting those after my 2nd restart (around days 15-18). So I just did one restart, using each sensor 2 weeks. Even though I may not squeeze quite as many days out of a sensor, it keeps me chill.

    YMMV
    - Jim

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jim,
      Yeah the sensor error messages are maddening for sure! In my experience the G6 seems to take longer to recover from the sensor errors. The G5 gave me many less errors and I know it is one of the top complaints/issues people are having with the G6. I hope Dexcom is trying to fix it.

      Delete

➼ Please leave a comment, help keep me motivated to blog. Your email address will not be published and you will not receive any spam. Any comments with links or spam will not be published so do not waste your time.