Conquering life living with Type 1 Diabetes

Friday, January 17, 2014

Diabetes and decongestants?

Ok so Im trolling my facebook diabetes groups on my lunch break and come across one with someone stating a pharmacist refused to give her a decongestant because she has diabetes?!

Huh? Refused because of Diabetes?

So I did some looking, did you guys even know there was the risk that decongestants can raise your blood glucose levels?  For most people its not a big deal, I read.  Ok......

I had no idea.

Type 1 for nearly 14 years and no one person or medical professional ever mentioned this to me.

None.

Now I want to do a test and see if they raise my bg just for fun.

Now Im curious to see what it does to me. Im only ever taking them when Im sick so I should see if non-sick they raise my bg.

How did I not know this before?

My mind is stunned. 



Did any of you know this?  Is this like general knowledge?  I guess its on the label, but jeeze a lot of things say Diabetics should use caution when using this, or what not. I kind of just ignore those and figure its for Diabetics with kidney issues. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

➼ Please leave a comment, help keep me motivated to blog. Your email address will not be published and you will not receive any spam. Any comments with links or spam will not be published so do not waste your time.