Conquering life living with Type 1 Diabetes

Friday, January 3, 2014

One downfall to using an insulin pump

 
So last night I realized that I needed to change my pump site out.  Yeah that didnt go so well.  I was on day five on my last infusion set and on my last bolus of the night I got an occlusion alarm.  For whatever reason my left side of my body has more blood vessels near the surface of my skin I have known this since starting pumping so it doesn't tend to go as well, but I have to use that side as well.  

So the disaster started with trying a new site on the side of my hip/butt area.  Yep, hit blood, try again, hit another bleeder and painful as heck. Man that hurts.  After trying about 10 places on my left side and hip I quit.  I was so frustrated and upset I just wanted to quit.  I cant quit though, I have type 1 Diabetes.  So I tried my right side and on the first shot it was good, no pain or bleeding.  Whew.  

Of course today it doesn't feel great but I will tough out the three days and leave it in.  Hopefully.   Pumping is great and has saved my life but some days, days like this, I want to quit, I want a cure. 

This is the mess I made trying to change my pump out.  Had to toss one set because it had blood go back up the cannula and I have no idea how anyone else gets these to clear, I have tried and if I leave a set in that had blood in it, it never clears and my bg's go straight up. Set changes at night are a bad idea but it was better than going to bed with an occlusion alarm.

And now I am 62 and didnt even know it until my Dexcom alarmed that I was 80.  Wonderful.  I need a freaking Diabetic pick me up.  I am in a rut and on the I am sick of this crap wagon.  Some one get me off. Time to eat some nasty teeth rotting glucose tablets.



No comments:

Post a Comment

➼ Please leave a comment, help keep me motivated to blog. Your email address will not be published and you will not receive any spam. Any comments with links or spam will not be published so do not waste your time.