Conquering life living with Type 1 Diabetes

Thursday, January 23, 2014

What inspires you to keep fighting every day?

Living a life with a chronic incurable disease takes a lot of work, determination, inspiration and MONEY!

Family and friends are what keeps me inspired.

     My husband.  I couldnt do as good of a job beating back the betes without him on my team and cheering me on.  He tries his best to help me stay calm when I am having a hard time changing out my infusion set, he reminds me to take insulin, he helps me get my head back on straight after a bad day battling my blood sugar, he helps keep me from ripping someones head off after rude and hurtful comment about Diabetes, he helps me to live every day. 

     My daughter.  I want to live as long as I possibly can to see her grow up and hopefully meet her children some day.  Looking into her precious eyes and seeing her smile every day has changed my entire outlook on life.

     My family and friends and their eagerness to learn about my disease and the tools I use to fight it.  Some people may not know but asking your loved one about the tools (Dexcom CGM and insulin pump) they use to manage their Diabetes, actually lets them know you care and you want to learn more.  Don't ask a Diabetic what their blood sugar is, but asking about what its like and what you can do to help, shows you care and want to help.
     Sticking your head in the sand and ignoring the fact they have Diabetes only really hurts a persons feelings.  I know no one else wants Diabetes but ignoring it because you are scared of it and fear ever getting it yourself doesn't help anyone, especially not your family member with Diabetes.  Saying things like I would die if I had to check my blood sugar, or take insulin or count carbs or use an insulin pump hurts, because that is what I have to do, I have to do all of these things or I wouldn't be alive.  You do what you have to do to live, you would do all those things too if you had Diabetes. You would want to fight to be here every day, just like I do.

     I dont want to have Diabetes, who the heck does, but I dont have a choice.  I cant choose to quit, I cant give up.  It is not even an option to me. 
 
     I write about my Diabetes for other Diabetics, so they know they aren't the only ones feeling the way they are feeling.  It helps to read about other Diabetics and their stories and battles, it really does.  It keeps me inspired.  You all out there, your stories, experiences and battles keep me inspired. 
  
     My cousin-in-law said to me that my fight against Diabetes was inspiring.  The thing about that is that she inspired me and I told her this, because she had a way too long of an unfair battle with Cancer, winning the fight for many years and then eventually losing it at only 59.  She fought for every day, going through horrible chemotherapy many many times because she wanted to fight to survive.  Her fight inspires me.  
     I dont have to go through chemotherapy, I dont have to lose my battle with Diabetes, I dont have to wonder if my next shot of insulin will work or not or if Diabetes will take over me.  I will win, I will keep fighting, I will fight every day, I will not let Diabetes get the best of me.
      In spite of all of this SHE told me that my fight against Diabetes was inspiring.  A woman losing a battle against Cancer told me this, I cant even explain to you how selfless and awe inspiring those words felt.  I am still at a loss as to how to describe it.  She was an amazing person and everyone who knew her misses her dearly. 

Marjie, you inspire me from up there where ever you are.

No comments:

Post a Comment

➼ Please leave a comment, help keep me motivated to blog. Your email address will not be published and you will not receive any spam. Any comments with links or spam will not be published so do not waste your time.