Today, I got the news my application to be a member of the Diabetes Advocates was accepted! I am incredibly honored to be a part of this community! I am unsure of when I will be listed on the website.
Diabetes Advocates is a program of the Diabetes Hands Foundation, a nonprofit organization that brings together people touched by diabetes for positive change so that nobody living with this condition ever feels alone.
To connect advocates dedicated to improving the lives of people living with diabetes in order to accelerate and amplify their efforts
1. Continue growing the reach and impact of the program, by:
- Creating paths for diabetes advocacy for members of the diabetes online community.
- Increasing the number of Diabetes Advocates members focused on type 2 diabetes.
- Increasing the number of Spanish-speaking Diabetes Advocates members.
- Increasing awareness about Diabetes Advocates, starting with an emphasis in the US.
- Increasing member engagement in Diabetes Advocates initiatives.
- Expanding benefits that impact sustainability and member development.
- Hosting an annual Diabetes Advocacy Congress.
- Consolidate Diabetes Advocates as a hub for collaboration among diabetes advocates.
- Connect with other advocates in a private social network
- Subscription to weekly diabetes advocacy newsletter
- Collaborate in advocacy initiatives with other advocates (such as Spare a Rose, Save a Child)
- Access to free trainings on advocacy topics (such as the interview with Peter Staley)
- Eligibility for scholarships to attend diabetes conferences (see the 2013 scholarship winners)
- Eligibility for micro-grants to support diabetes advocacy projects (see the 2012 micro-grants recipients)
- Inclusion of blog posts in live diabetes advocacy social media feed (follow @D_Advocates on Twitter)