Conquering life living with Type 1 Diabetes

Tuesday, April 28, 2015

Today is my first day on the low carb high fat Dr. Bernstein way of managing type 1 Diabetes

About 2 weeks ago I decided I have had enough.  Enough of the blood sugar swings, enough fighting highs and lows, enough looking at my Dexcom screen and wanting to cry.  Enough is enough is enough!!!  I am done fighting high carb/flour and sugar loaded boxed/packaged/full of garbage food! 

There is just no damn insulin you can inject or use with an insulin pump that is fast enough or capable of combating the ensuing blood sugar spike after you eat.  Or at least NOT FOR ME.

So I started researching about the Dr. Bernstein way of eating and started reading his book.  I also joined this group: Diabetics for "Dr. Bernstein's Diabetes Solution" Facebook Group Asked a few questions, followed Type One Grit on pinterest for recipes and just went with it from there.  I am on pinterest: https://www.pinterest.com/T1DWarrior/ you can follow me if you'd like and message me on there if you have recipes you think are great!

I went grocery shopping last night and HOLY CRAP, be prepared!  The ingredients you need to eat this way cost a lot more than the boxed crap!

Almond flour, coconut flour, xanthan gum, stevia powder and liquid and packets, splenda, coconut oil, cauliflower frozen and fresh, frozen broccoli, almond and coconut milk you can leave in your cabinet, a couple torini sugar free flavors, butter, tons of cream cheese, tons of sliced and shredded cheese.  Holy moly.

So now I will have to overhaul all of my pump settings and figure out how to bolus for fat and protein instead of carbs. 

Let the games begin, no more packaged food for me!

Today for breakfast I had 3 sausage links, and 2-1-1 cheesy eggs.  Two eggs, 1 oz shredded cheddar, 1 oz cream cheese, mix it all up, micro for 1 minute take out and stir, micro another minute and see if its done.  I had to do mine a little past 2 total minutes. Then I had coffee with sugar free torini syrup and some stevia.  

2 comments:

  1. Hope you get to check out the awesome recipes for this WOE on Pinterest also... try typeonegrit recipes :) love the breads!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, thank you! I am on pinterest now just for recipes. I have my link at the bottom of my blog or I am at this link: https://www.pinterest.com/T1DWarrior/ Feel free to follow me and then I can check out your recipes too!

      Delete

➼ Please leave a comment, help keep me motivated to blog. Your email address will not be published and you will not receive any spam. Any comments with links or spam will not be published so do not waste your time.